Followers

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Eagles' Schmit to make long-awaited return

Timothy B. Schmit - vocalist, songwriter and bass player from the Eagles and Poco - will release a solo album, Leap of Faith, Sept. 23 via Benowen Records. It was recorded at his LA studio and co-produced with engineer Hank Linderman. Pre-orders begin Aug. 26.

Next month, Schmit will head to Nashville for the Americana Music Festival & Conference. On Sept. 21, he'll present at the Americana Music Awards show at Ryman Auditorium. The following night is a live concert during "Music City Roots" at Factory at Franklin which will be live-streamed on Sept. 22 (here). The show will be broadcast nationally on PBS TV at a later date.

Then on Sept. 25, the veteran musician and his band will perform at City Winery in Nashville. Tickets for the City Winery show will go on-sale starting Aug. 11 (here). For more information on the Americana Music Festival & Conference, click (here).

On the new album, he goes further up the path he began to explore on 2009 solo album Expando. "Again, I wanted to write this album on my own," he explains. "In any collaboration one has to make a series of compromises. That's not a bad thing, it's simply not what I've chosen to do with this project. I'm just putting it out there, and maybe some of these ideas might resonate with listeners."

Frequently writing and recording between touring with the Eagles, this project took a little time, so the songs have a broad compass. For all their diversity, they are bound by a candor and craftsmanship that are rare in today's music. Schmit notes: "I don't feel confined by any outside perceptions about what I do. I just try to pull songs out of the ethers and shape them as they come, whatever the genre."

On Linderman: "I hired Hank quite a few years ago to help me learn how to maneuver through my then-new demo studio. But as the studio grew I eventually chose to concentrate on my craft, so I put him in charge of the technical part, among other things. He is an excellent engineer, musician and singer."

The co-producer has also worked both on the Eagles' last studio album, as well as Don Henley's recent solo project. Hank is essential to how everything sounds and feels. "For instance, on 'My Hat,' I told him I wanted him to play the solo, but to do so in a very simple manner. He ended up playing something I would never have dreamed of, and yes, it's simple and beautiful."

"Over the last ten years or so, I've felt like I'm finally getting the hang what it is I do best," Schmit continues. "Although this project took some time to complete, this is what I came up with... This is who I am. This is a leap of faith."

No comments: