Followers

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grammys 2012: Who should win?

NARAS








Here are my picks on who I think should take home trophies in selected categories on Sunday.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: While Black Keys put out a great album last year, I'd give it to Foster the People. I'll bet Bennett gets it on the Winehouse sympathy vote.

Best Rock Performance: A very tough category. I think The Decemberists deserve it, but Coldplay will probably snag it. Oddly, the same acts are nominated for Best Rock Song.

Best Rock Album: While Kings of Leon didn't match the success of their predecessor, I believe it is stronger than the others. Jeff Beck will probably get it as a safe choice. 

Best Alternative Music Album: I'm not on the Radiohead or Bon Iver bandwagons, either will probably win here. I'd go with MMJ or Foster and lean toward MMJ, which was one of my top 20 albums of the year.

Best Country Duo/Group Performance: Thompson Square is so generic. I'd lobby for The Civil Wars, whose single was the highlight of a fine album. Chesney will probably grab it for this decent duet. I dig Aldean, but Clarkson makes this too histrionic. 

Best Folk Album: Civil Wars is the strongest of the lot, although Earle or Vedder could take it.


No comments: