Followers

Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Year in Music: Best Albums

Some music critics and others tend to complain about not being able to pick a top 10. Yet I never have any trouble, considering the onslaught of releases out there. The problem is narrowing it down. I went back and re-listened to dozens of titles and the following ones made the strongest impact on me this year. Let me know if you agree with any and feel free to share your own here or via @GeorgeAPaul.  

Here are my choices for the 10 best studio albums of 2014 (in order)...

1. Ryan Adams, Ryan Adams











2. Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness 










3. La Petite Mort, James 










4. Drowners, Drowners 










5. Stockholm, Chrissie Hynde 










6. Soapbox, Crookes










7. Indie Cindy, Pixies 










8. The Voyager, Jenny Lewis 










9. Diamonds, Johnnyswim









10. Standards, Lloyd Cole










Best of the rest...

11. That Girl, Jennifer Nettles
12. Pure Fiction, Eric Hutchinson
13. Hurricane, Jamie Scott
14. So Long, See You Tomorrow, Bombay Bicycle Club
15. Crimson/Red, Prefab Sprout
16. Lonely Ones, Graham Colton
17. Seven Dials, Roddy Frame
18. Alveron, Wolf Gang
19. Hozier, Hozier
20. Songs of Innocence, U2

Also noteworthy: I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss, Sinead O' Connor; The Both, The Both; Snapshot, The Strypes; Avonmore, Bryan Ferry; They Want My Soul, Spoon; Dream Your Life Away, Vance Joy.

1 comment:

ida said...

I'm so happy to see James make your list with Le Petite Mort. It's stuck in my car CD player currently ... I cannot get enough of it lately, altho it did not have that impact on me when it was released. Bryan Ferry's Avonmore gets more and more under my skin the more I listen to it, as well.