On Nov. 29, EMI Music in North America will reissue the Smashing Pumpkins' first two albums -- "Gish" (1991) and "Siamese Dream" (1993) in CD, deluxe 2CD/DVD, vinyl LP, and digital configurations.
Both albums, each with bonus content and special features that were curated from the band’s archives by founding member Billy Corgan, have been remastered for the first time from the original master tapes.
With the full support and guidance from the band, EMI’s global catalog reissue campaign will last through 2013. It will encompass all the albums and B-sides from 1991-2000, with other release dates to be announced.
As the Smashing Pumpkins get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. After touring America and Europe this fall -- the trek wraps Dec. 8 in Lisbon -- they will release "Oceania," “an album within an album,” as part of their in-progress 44 song work "Teargarden by Kaleidyscope." Featuring 13 new songs, "Oceania" will be released in early 2012.
In the first two reissues' liner notes, Billy Corgan reflects on why these albums were hard-won triumphs for the band and discusses the origins of the songs. In 'Siamese,' he says: “We start the album out with ‘Cherub Rock’ which is basically my big F.U. to the indie world. If you read the lyrics, that was basically me railing against the hipper than thou New York indie mentality.”
Here are the special features about both reissues:
- Deluxe versions will each include a bonus disc of rare and previously unreleased audio content.
- Deluxe versions also contain a never-before-released live show from the Metro in Chicago on DVD. The 10-song live show in "Gish" is from 8/25/90; the 17-song live show in "Siamese" is from 8/14/93. Both DVDs feature introductions by Joe Shanahan, owner of the Metro in Chicago.
- The "Gish" bonus disc will include new Butch Vig mixes of the original SubPop single tracks “Tristessa” and “La Dolly Vita.”
- Vinyl has been mastered specifically for the format.
- Housed in special lift-top box packaging, the deluxe versions feature liner notes and track by track commentary from Billy Corgan, never-before-seen collages and photos, postcards and more. For additional details, go to smashingpumpkins.com