Legacy Recordings continues to celebrate the life, times and music of Johnny Cash, an international superstar and American statesman who would have turned 80 years old next February.
In that spirit, Legacy’s CASH 80 campaign is launched with the third entry in the successful Cash Bootleg series, focusing on live performances in the 1950s, ’60s, and ’70s.
BOOTLEG VOL. 3 – LIVE AROUND THE WORLD is a treasure trove of rare tracks spanning nearly a quarter century of Cash performances. The shows date from 1956 (the Big “D” Jamboree in Dallas) to 1979 (the Exit Inn in Nashville). Along the way, this deluxe double-CD package of 50 musical performances (39 of them previously unreleased) makes some very exciting stops:
- New River Ranch, a country hoe-down in rural Rising Sun, Maryland (1962)
- Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island (July 1964)
- Annex 14 NCO Club, Long Binh , Vietnam (USO tour, January 1969)
- The White House, at President Nixon’s invitation (April 1970)
- Osteraker Prison in Sweden (October 1972)
- CBS Records Convention in Nashville (1973)
- The Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, Virginia (1976)
- Wheeling Jamboree in Wheeling , West Virginia (October 1976)
BOOTLEG VOL. 3 – LIVE AROUND THE WORLD will be available at all physical and digital retail outlets starting Oct. 11 through Columbia/Legacy. The release of BOOTLEG VOL. 3 precedes the Oct. 18 publication date of an important new book, House Of Cash: The Life, Legacy and Archives of The Man In Black (Insight Editions) written by Johnny’s son, John Carter Cash.
An affectionate and affecting look into the Johnny Cash legend, House Of Cash is a memoir, biography and deeply personal remembrance of the man beneath the black. The lavishly illustrated book features many color and black and white photos, as well as numerous keepsake facsimile documents from the Cash family archive.
House Of Cash also dovetails with the concept behind the Cash Bootleg series. After the deaths of his parents June Carter Cash in May 2003, and Johnny Cash in September 2003, the task of going through their huge storage vault packed to the brim with memories fell to John Carter as curator and his wife Laura.
They unearthed a large number of unpublished photographs, poetry and songs, master tapes dating back to the mid-50s, sketches, film reels, audio tapes, “strange hats, guitar cases, harmonicas,” and much more. “The songs, poetry, and other writings; the images; and artifacts offered a deeper glimpse of who my father really was. It became my mission to share what I felt he would have liked people to know about him. This is the essence of this book.”
Big “D” Jamboree, Dallas , Texas , 1956:
1. So Doggone Lonesome • 2. I Walk The Line • 3. Get Rhythm
New River Ranch, Rising Sun, Maryland , 1962:
4. Country Boy • 5. I Still Miss Someone • 6. Cotton Fields • 7. I Walk The Line • 8. Luther’s Boogie • 9. Impersonations • 10. Rock Island Line • 11. The Rebel - Johnny Yuma
Newport Folk Festival, Newport , Rhode Island , July 26, 1964 :
12. Introduction - Pete Seeger • 13. Big River • 14. Folsom Prison Blues • 15. I Still Miss Someone • 16. Rock Island Line • 17. Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright • 18. I Walk The Line • 19. Ballad Of Ira Hayes • 20. Keep On The Sunny Side
Annex 14 NCO Club, Long Binh , Vietnam , January 1969:
21. Big River • 22. Wreck Of The Old ’97 • 23. Tennessee Flat Top Box • 24. Remember The Alamo • 25. Cocaine Blues • 26. Jackson - duet with June Carter Cash • 27. Long-Legged Guitar Pickin’ Man - duet with June Carter Cash • 28. Ring Of Fire • 29. Daddy Sang Bass.
The White House, Washington , D.C. , April 17, 1970 :
1. Introduction - President Richard M. Nixon • 2. A Boy Named Sue • 3. Five Feet High And Rising • 4. Pickin’ Time • 5. Wreck Of The Old ’97 • 6. Lumberjack • 7. Jesus Was A Carpenter • 8. What Is Truth • 9. (There’ll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me) • 10. He Turned The Water Into Wine • 11. Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord) • 12. Daddy Sang Bass • 13. The Old Account
Osteraker Prison, Sweden, October 3, 1972 :
14. Sunday Morning Comin’ Down • 15. The Prisoner’s Song • 16. That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine
CBS Records Convention, Nashville , Tennessee , 1973:
17. City Of New Orleans
The Carter Fold, Hiltons, Virginia , 1976:
18. Ragged Old Flag • 19. One Piece At A Time
Wheeling Jamboree, Wheeling , West Virginia , October 2, 1976 :
20. Hey Porter • 21. There You Go • 22. Give My Love To Rose
Exit Inn, Nashville , Tennessee , December 10, 1979 :
23. (Ghost) Riders In The Sky • 24. I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal.