Followers

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

The Drums' next album 'Jonny' arrives in October

photo: Qiao Meng
The Drums have debuted a new song titled “Isolette” today, the latest preview of singer Jonny Pierce’s forthcoming sixth studio album Jonny. 
The single's name is the French word for 'incubator' and can be heard here. Pre-order the album here ahead of its release on Oct. 13 via ANTI- Records.

"My mother experienced what is referred to as a birth trauma when she was pregnant with me,” says Pierce about the inspiration for “Isolette.” “A doctor broke her water without her consent, and she immediately went into painful, traumatic labor. I was born prematurely. They rushed me into an incubator where no one was able to touch me. Over the course of the pandemic, I took a lot of psych courses. In child psych, I learned that it is of utmost importance for a mother to have skin contact with her baby. It’s fundamental for bonding. We didn’t have that. The love and trust you get from that initial bonding influences how you feel love and trust in future relationships. My mother had been violated at the time of my birth and I believe I became a symbol of that trauma. She detached from me emotionally, so on many levels I often feel like I never really left the isolette.”

In addition to “Isolette”, Jonny features the recent tracks including “Better,” “Obvious”, “I Want It All” and “Plastic Envelope / Protect Him Always

Pierce initially conceived of the band back in 2008 and what resulted was a string of six studio albums and the popular song “Money,” which first appeared on breakout sophomore album Portamento. A viral sensation earlier this year – over a decade since it was first released – the song has since eclipsing over 230 million streams on Spotify alone, achieving RIAA Gold-certification, and reaching #1 on the Alternative Global Shazam chart and the #2 TikTok Global Hashtag.

Track listing: 

I Want It All
Isolette
I’m Still Scared
Better
Harms
Little Jonny
Plastic Envelope
Protect Him Always
Be Gentle
Dying
Green Grass
Obvious
The Flowers
Teach My Body
Pool God
I Used to Want To Die

Upcoming shows:

8/18 
San Francisco, United States
The Regency Ballroom

8/20
Garden Grove, United States
Garden Amp

No comments: