Universal Songs, due Oct. 23, marks the first time Kim Carnes' works has been compiled into a box set and it covers all the albums she recorded for A&M, EMI America and MCA from 1975-1988.
This 10-disc set comes in a rigid slipcase, with discs housed in top opening digi-sleeves including the original album sleeves. A 24pp booklet includes a foreword written by Kim and an extensive essay by Christian John Wikane (“A Night at the Disco”) completes the package.
Compiled in conjunction and with the full cooperation of Carnes, Universal Songs also features a number of 12” dance mixes that have never been released on CD before. It also includes a handful of bonus tracks including her duets with Barbra Streisand (“Make No Mistake” written by Kim) and Kenny Rogers (“What About Me”) as well as the three new songs that were recorded for her Gypsy Honeymoon Best of released in 1993. Additionally, there will be a limited edition of 1,000 prints personally autographed by Kim.
Compiled in conjunction and with the full cooperation of Carnes, Universal Songs also features a number of 12” dance mixes that have never been released on CD before. It also includes a handful of bonus tracks including her duets with Barbra Streisand (“Make No Mistake” written by Kim) and Kenny Rogers (“What About Me”) as well as the three new songs that were recorded for her Gypsy Honeymoon Best of released in 1993. Additionally, there will be a limited edition of 1,000 prints personally autographed by Kim.
“I think having all of these albums together in a box set is a wonderful overview of my writing and singing career. I began my career as a songwriter, and will always be a songwriter, first. It's all I ever wanted to do from the age of 3 years old.
Every song I write or song that I cover is from my heart. I have to love it. It has to be honest. It's all about the heart, and if it feels real and true. When I get fan mail, it touches me so deeply that a particular song has meant so much to that person or that I've helped them through a troubled time. I just want to touch people with my music. I want the listener to feel something, whether it makes you get up on the table and dance, or makes you nostalgic, makes you cry, makes you yearn ... just feel something.” - Kim Carnes
Although best known for her worldwide smash hit "Bette Davis Eyes" Kim Carnes already had a body of work under her belt. She had already released four acclaimed albums and had chart success. Mostly notably in 1980 with a cover version of "More Love," originally recorded by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles in 1967. But also, with the duet with Gene Cotton of her self-penned "You’re A Part Of Me" in 1978. In 1980 Kim and her husband Dave Ellingson wrote an entire album for Kenny Rogers called 'Gideon,' which went triple platinum including the top five single, “Don’t Fall In Love With A Dreamer,” sung by Kim and Kenny.
"Bette Davis Eyes" won her a Grammy for ‘Record of the year’ and the accompanying album Mistaken Identity was also Number One worldwide and nominated for ‘Album of the Year.'
"Bette Davis Eyes" won her a Grammy for ‘Record of the year’ and the accompanying album Mistaken Identity was also Number One worldwide and nominated for ‘Album of the Year.'
Follow up album Voyeur was released in 1982 and the lead single "Voyeur" was nominated for a Grammy. Kim won another Grammy in 1984 when the OST for Flashdance won. Her contribution, "I’ll Be Here Where the Heart is" was included on her next album "CafĂ© Racers." A single from that album, "Invisible Hands" provided her with another Grammy nomination. Further chart success followed in 1985 with the single, "Crazy in the Night" from the album Barking at Airplanes reaching number 15 in the US. Two further acclaimed albums, Lighthouse and View From The House followed.
Pre-Order and view full track listings HERE
No comments:
Post a Comment