|photo: Hannah Burton|
On April 20, Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Ashley Monroe will release Sparrow via Warner Music Nashville. The album, her fourth, was recorded with producer Dave Cobb in Nashville’s legendary RCA Studio A. Monroe has unveiled the track list and collaborators (see below).
Monroe recently shared "Hands On You," the first song to be released from the forthcoming album. NPR Music shared the music video for the song.
Working with some of her closest collaborators, including Brendan Benson and Waylon Payne, and longtime friends Anderson East and Angaleena Presley, Monroe wrote all of the songs on Sparrow. She recorded the album while she was pregnant with her first child. "I felt powerful," she says. "I wasn't puffing, I wasn't drinking wine, I was just singing."
"I knew I wanted to work with Dave," Monroe says. "All of his records are consistently awesome and classic, timeless, old and new all in one." Together, they shared their favorite records and music moments, like early Elton John LPs and Glenn Campbell's "Wichita Lineman," molding Sparrow into its own unique sonic space. "Country music is a wide genre, and that's OK," Monroe says. “I don't even know what genre this record is, but I know it's me."
1. "Orphan" (Ashley Monroe, Gordie Sampson, Paul Moak)
2. "Hard On A Heart" (Ashley Monroe, Blu Sanders, Paul Moak)
3. "Hands On You" (Ashley Monroe, Jon Randall)
4. "Mother’s Daughter" (Ashley Monroe, Brendan Benson, Ryan Beaver)
5. "Rita" (Ashley Monroe, Nicole Galyon, Paul Moak)
6. "Wild Love" (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
7. "This Heaven" (Anderson East, Ashley Monroe, Aaron Raitiere)
8. "I'm Trying To" (Ashley Monroe, Kassi Ashton, Jon Randall)
9. "She Wakes Me Up (Rescue Me)" (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Paul Moak)
10. "Paying Attention" (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
11. "Daddy I Told You" (Ashley Monroe, Angaleena Presley, Josh O’Keefe)
12. "Keys To The Kingdom" (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne)