Followers

Saturday, April 4, 2009

American Idol

Although I'm a few days late, I thought I'd still weigh in on last Tuesday's performance show.

I thought Megan's trilling vocals were excruciating on that Bob Marley tune and she needed to leave. I don't think Simon was particularly callous in saying, "you said you don't care and neither do we" about not instituting the judges' save.

Danny was nearly unbearable on the overwrought Rascal Flatts song (why the band is popular is beyond me). And Allison's taking on No Doubt was like nails against a chalkboard. I'm all for rockin' women with attitude to spare like Tina Turner, but I'm sorry, the teenager just doesn't have it. Lately, I've dug everything Adam does, but Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music" didn't seem to have his usual spark. Judge Kara must've been embarassed after saying Adam's song was "just like being at Studio 57." She meant '54.' Doh! If you watched closely, I think Simon corrected her off camera.

On the upside, Matt's upbeat take on The Fray wasn't as bad as the judges thought. Kris was amazing on Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" (for the record, it came out in 1971, not 1979 as Paula inferred on the show. It amazes me when the judges make gaffes like that, especially Randy, who has quite a resume. Finally, Scott doing Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" was perfect.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

now that Adam Lambert has pulled off performing "Play That Funky Music," i'm reasonably sure he can pull off anything