Followers

Friday, August 17, 2012

Long awaited return of Abandoned Pools

Sublime Currency, Abandoned Pools' first new music in seven years, arrives on Aug. 28 through Tooth & Nail.

Available for pre-order at iTunes, it includes an exclusive acoustic version of the title track. The songs find solace in faith and marriage.

 “This record is more of a joyful record,” said bassist/principal member Tommy Walter. “I’m a happier person (now)...I reached a low point in my life and I think my music now reveals how I overcame that. This record is about feeling like I discovered something that’s important to me.”

Walter played all the instruments on the album except ion of the drums.

“I went back to my core of writing on my own and recording on my own because it keeps the project focused,” he explains. “I had a lot of range on the first album and I wanted to keep that going here, this range of styles. The songs come from a long span of time, but I feel like they’re all appropriate to now.”


While “Unrehearsed” showcases the more pop-oriented side of the album as a surging tune that recalls Abandoned Pools’ debut, “In Silence,” a track Walter penned about getting married, is an immediate and engaging mellow rock number. It’s the title track, however, that culls the album together. Named from a quote by composer John Cage, the synth-laced rock track aims to share a personal journey, offering the listener some sense of how one can emerge from the struggle in the lyrics: “I can push the buttons/I can wrestle with the phantoms/Till I see that all the best things happen naturally.”


"It all comes down to where your motivation is when you make music,” Tommy says. “It's not about hype or trying to get someone's attention. It's about making music for the love of music itself.”

Prior to making the album, Walter (co-founder of eels) produced, mixed and collaborated Sara Bareilles, Ryan Tedder, Backstreet Boys, Better Then Ezra, Mike Simpson of The Dust Brothers and Bryce Soderberg of Lifehouse.  
 
Upcoming shows:
Aug. 28 – Los Angeles, CA – Hotel CafĂ© (Tommy solo) 
Sept. 15 – Los Angeles, CA – The Roxy
Sept. 27 – Upland, CA – The Wire


No comments: