Followers

Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammy results

Well, I got 6 out of 7 Grammy predictions right.

Congrats to former Inland Empire resident John Jorgenson, who snagged a Best Country Instrumental Performance Grammy for his contribution to "Cluster Pluck" on Brad Paisley's latest album.

Jorgenson grew up in Redlands, attended the U of R and has been an in-demand session player for decades. He was also part of Elton John's touring band. I had the pleasure of interviewing him a couple years ago.

Some thoughts on the 3 1/2-hour Grammy Awards show telecast last night:

>Whitney Houston seemed a little shaky while presenting the first award to Jennifer Hudson. My first thought was, 'oh no. She's back on drugs!'

>What a shock it was to see the first-ever (to my knowledge) TV commercial for the Coachella Festival in the awards' first hour. Bet that cost Goldenvoice a pretty penny.

>I missed the announcements of non-televised award winners at each commercial break (which there were way way too many of).

Performance-wise:

Too much Kanye West for my liking. Jonas Brothers were embarassing with Stevie Wonder. One of the JoBros forgot the words to the R&B legend's hit "Superstition." As much as I enjoyed Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney, what was the point of having them sing an old fave? Al Green too - although that was just a Memphis tie-in with Justin Timberlake and a last minute sub for Chris Brown.

Even with the USC Marching Band, I didn't think Radiohead was all that captivating during its first Grammy Awards show appearance. I'll have to watch the clip again, but apparently only 2/5 of the band were onstage. Thom Yorke actually smiled at the end! The second half of Coldplay's medley was great, as was U2, Sugarland and Plant & Krauss.

No comments: