Since David Byrne performs at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend (his Coachella Weekend appearance this past April was among my top 5 standouts), it's a good time to remind fans about the highly recommended Talking Heads' 3CD and 1LP+7" box set Tentative Decisions: Demos & Live from earlier this year.
The 1975 demos are fascinating to hear and discover which tunes were still skeletal in form ("Psycho Killer") or pretty much had the bones already intact ("Love Goes to a Building on Fire"). Among the New York live performances: The lo-fidelity Max's Kansas City 1976 set as a trio is like a bootleg with audience chatter. High points include "Don't Worry About the Government" and the frantic "Thank You for Sending Me an Angel." Byrne introduce their wiry cover of Jonathan Richman's "Pablo Picasso" as something they'd "never done before and probably won't do again." The early '77 Jabberwocky Club selections a few months later in Syracuse, NY, with the jagged "No Compassion" being a standout, is much better.
Box set background:
After relocating from Rhode Island to New York City in early 1975, singer/guitarist David Byrne, drummer Chris Frantz, and bassist Tina Weymouth began recording early demos with their friend, J.R. Rost to get an idea of what they sounded like; those recordings open the collection.
That September, at the request of Mark Spector, they recorded an album’s worth of demos at CBS Studios. The session didn’t result in a contract, but it did preserve early versions of songs that would form the backbone of Talking Heads’ first two albums: “Don’t Worry About The Government,” “The Book I Read,” “Thank You For Sending Me An Angel,” and “Stay Hungry.”
Tentative Decisions also uncovers a cache of live recordings from 1976 and 1977. The October 1976 performance at Max’s Kansas City took place just a few weeks before the group met with Seymour Stein and signed to Sire Records. A few months later, the January 1977 show at The Jabberwocky Club in Syracuse would be among the last by the original trio before Jerry Harrison joined in March.
The earliest recordings on Tentative Decisions reach back to The Artistics, the band Frantz and Byrne formed while they were students at the Rhode Island School of Design. Recorded in 1974 at Frantz’s apartment on Benefit Street in Providence, the demo represents the earliest known recordings of “Psycho Killer” and “Warning Sign.”
In the liner notes, Frantz says The Artistics’ aspiration to become the RISD house band—entertaining friends with covers of The Kinks, Motown, and Al Green—changed when they began writing their own songs. “One day, David knocked on the door of the painting studio Tina and I shared,” Frantz recalls. “He played us the first verse and chorus of ‘Psycho Killer,’ which sounded promising.” Byrne asked Weymouth, who spoke French, to write lyrics for the bridge while Frantz added some verses—and so it began.
Track Listing (3CD):
Track Listing (3CD):
Disc One
“Psycho Killer” (September 1975 Demo)
“Tentative Decisions” (September 1975 Demo)
“No Compassion” (September 1975 Demo)
“Warning Sign” (September 1975 Demo)
“I’m Not in Love” (1976 Demo)
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” (1976 Demo)
“The Book I Read” (1976 Demo)
“I Wish You Wouldn’t Say That” (1976 Demo)
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” (1976 Demo)
“Happy Day” (1976 Demo)
“Artists Only” (Live at the Lower Manhattan Ocean Club, New York, NY, 8/17/76)
“Psycho Killer” – The Artistics
“Warning Sign” – The Artistics
“Tentative Decisions” (September 1975 Demo)
“No Compassion” (September 1975 Demo)
“Warning Sign” (September 1975 Demo)
“I’m Not in Love” (1976 Demo)
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” (1976 Demo)
“The Book I Read” (1976 Demo)
“I Wish You Wouldn’t Say That” (1976 Demo)
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” (1976 Demo)
“Happy Day” (1976 Demo)
“Artists Only” (Live at the Lower Manhattan Ocean Club, New York, NY, 8/17/76)
“Psycho Killer” – The Artistics
“Warning Sign” – The Artistics
Disc Two
CBS Demos (September 1975)
CBS Demos (September 1975)
“Psycho Killer” *
“Sugar On My Tongue” *
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” *
“I Want To Live” *
“I Wish You Wouldn’t Say That” *
“The Girls Want To Be With The Girls” *
“Who Is It?” *
“With Our Love” *
“Stay Hungry” *
“Tentative Decisions” *
“Warning Sign” *
“I’m Not In Love” *
“The Book I Read” *
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” *
“No Compassion” *
“Sugar On My Tongue” *
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” *
“I Want To Live” *
“I Wish You Wouldn’t Say That” *
“The Girls Want To Be With The Girls” *
“Who Is It?” *
“With Our Love” *
“Stay Hungry” *
“Tentative Decisions” *
“Warning Sign” *
“I’m Not In Love” *
“The Book I Read” *
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” *
“No Compassion” *
Disc Three
Live at Max’s Kansas City, New York, NY (10/9/76)
Live at Max’s Kansas City, New York, NY (10/9/76)
“Artists Only” *
“1, 2, 3 Red Light” *
“Happy Day” *
“Don’t Worry About The Government” *
“Psycho Killer” *
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” *
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” *
“With Our Love” *
“Pablo Picasso” *
“I’m Not In Love” *
Live at the Jabberwocky Club, Syracuse, NY (1/26/77)
“1, 2, 3 Red Light” *
“Happy Day” *
“Don’t Worry About The Government” *
“Psycho Killer” *
“Love Goes To A Building On Fire” *
“Thank You For Sending Me An Angel” *
“With Our Love” *
“Pablo Picasso” *
“I’m Not In Love” *
Live at the Jabberwocky Club, Syracuse, NY (1/26/77)
“No Compassion” *
“New Feeling” *
“Psycho Killer” *
“A Clean Break (Let’s Work)” *
“Sugar On My Tongue” *
Live at the Lower Manhattan Ocean Club, New York, NY (8/17/76)
“New Feeling” *
“Psycho Killer” *
“A Clean Break (Let’s Work)” *
“Sugar On My Tongue” *
Live at the Lower Manhattan Ocean Club, New York, NY (8/17/76)
“I Wish You Wouldn’t Say That” *
“Take Me To The River” *
* Previously Unreleased
“Take Me To The River” *
* Previously Unreleased
To purchase: amazon.com
David Byrne is bringing his celebrated 2025/2026 world tour to the big screen. Filmed over multiple nights at the Hippodrome in Byrne’s hometown of Baltimore, the film captures the production that has played to audiences for over 150 shows across four continents. It was shot by Brady Corbet, director of the Academy Award®-winning film The Brutalist. The film is in postproduction now, with distribution and release details to be announced.
Who is the Sky? has become one of the most acclaimed live productions of Byrne's career. Built around an ensemble of 13 musicians, singers, and dancers in constant motion across the stage, the show blends visual art, storytelling, and music cut into a single performance, with set lists that move between the new record and Talking Heads classics like "Psycho Killer," "This Must Be the Place," “Life During Wartime” and "Burning Down the House." Since launching in September 2025, the tour has traveled across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the U.K. and Asia. The tour wraps up September 19 at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, NY.
“When Brady told me he wanted to shoot our show in 70 millimeter (70 millimeter!) I didn't realize what a difference it would make until I saw some frames he sent me,” shared David Byrne. “He was right, it really does capture the wide screen visual scope of the show. I've never seen anything like it.”
Who is the Sky? has become one of the most acclaimed live productions of Byrne's career. Built around an ensemble of 13 musicians, singers, and dancers in constant motion across the stage, the show blends visual art, storytelling, and music cut into a single performance, with set lists that move between the new record and Talking Heads classics like "Psycho Killer," "This Must Be the Place," “Life During Wartime” and "Burning Down the House." Since launching in September 2025, the tour has traveled across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the U.K. and Asia. The tour wraps up September 19 at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, NY.
“When Brady told me he wanted to shoot our show in 70 millimeter (70 millimeter!) I didn't realize what a difference it would make until I saw some frames he sent me,” shared David Byrne. “He was right, it really does capture the wide screen visual scope of the show. I've never seen anything like it.”
“I am so grateful to David Byrne and his entire team for entrusting us to capture his hometown show on 8-perf and 15-perf 70mm,” stated Brady Corbet. “The band’s performance is an inclusive celebration of community, and of Baltimore in particular—one of America’s most underappreciated historic cities.”
“We are thrilled to help bring David Byrne’s incredible, joyous tour to the screen in a way that can be shared for all time,” said The Deep End’s Jason Fine and Amit Dey. “This film will capture one of our greatest artists at the peak of his craft, in a moment that brings people together when we need it most, and that will elevate the concert film experience to a new level.”
“We are thrilled to help bring David Byrne’s incredible, joyous tour to the screen in a way that can be shared for all time,” said The Deep End’s Jason Fine and Amit Dey. “This film will capture one of our greatest artists at the peak of his craft, in a moment that brings people together when we need it most, and that will elevate the concert film experience to a new level.”
Tour photo courtesy: Grandstand PR
No comments:
Post a Comment