Followers

Saturday, September 7, 2024

John Davis of 1990s rock band Superdrag has solo album 'Jinx' coming later this month

'Jinx' was intended as a Superdrag album. It even started tracking as one. But the exercise of recording in fits and starts ultimately found the endeavor sputtering to a stop. Superdrag - best known for the 1996 alt-rock radio hit "Sucked Out" - ran out of patience, time and energy. But John Davis knew that these songs needed to be saved, so it became a solo album instead.

Taking cues from the Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Hüsker Dü and Dinosaur Jr, Davis and two other musicians that he recruited "weren't gonna be bound by any of the earlier arrangements or earlier decisions about the songs and what we wanted to do was eliminate all the fat.”

The album is due Sept. 27 on the Lost In Ohio label. Watch the lyric video for "The Future" HERE and pre-order the album HERE

Davis says about "The Future":

"I guess it sounds extremely pessimistic to say, “I don't wanna know about the future,” but that's just where I was at the time. Sometimes the “now” is crushing your soul to the point where you can't really look ahead. I love this track, love what Stewart & Henry brought to it. Seemed like the perfect opener and the perfect introduction to the LP."

The guitar sound used on 'Jinx' was a Fender Stratocaster. “As ubiquitous as the Strat is, I feel like they’re really undervalued on records.” 

When it came to the lyrics, Davis continued in a press release, “I've been writing songs for a long time and my process has never really changed. I just try to open my heart up and whatever's in there, that's what you get.” 

The album title usually immediately conjures thoughts of bad luck, and that’s the idea to be certain. But the title is really just an inside joke between John and his fiancée about their almost daily tendency to utter the same phrase at the same time.

Track List:

1. The Future
2. Please Be My Love
3. Take My Brains Out
4. Wildfire Love
5. Cold Advice
6. Already Drowned
7. Free to Fall
8. Indifferent Stars
9. In Between the Waves
10. I’m Sorry

No comments: