Followers

Thursday, July 23, 2020

The return of Patty Smyth

After a lengthy absence, Patty Smyth emerges with a new song collection on Oct. 9 through BMG. Titled It's About Time, the collection was recorded in Nashville's Blackbird Studios and produced by Grammy-winner Dann Huff (Shania Twain, Kelly Clarkson). She does covers of Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe" and Tom Waits' "Downtown Train." 

The former '80s hitmaker with Scandal says, "People would always ask, 'When are you gonna give us new music?' I kept saying, 'I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it…' Finally I said, 'Fuck it, man. I've just got to do it!' I've been touring and playing shows with the same band for 12 years, just having a blast, and I finally went into the zone of writing these songs I felt were poignant and relevant for me. I started to realize this is a real thing that's happening and just went with it."

Watch the music video for lead single "Drive": https://youtu.be/YfmNsesuw0w

On "Build a Fire," Smyth celebrates longevity, looking back on a quarter century of marriage with tennis great John McEnroe.

Emerging in 1982 with hits like "The Warrior," "Goodbye To You," "Love's Got a Line on You," and others from Scandal's Gold and Platinum-selling run, Smyth's solo career has included Grammy-nominated, AC radio chart-topping Don Henley duet "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough," the Oscar and Golden Globe-nominated "Look What Love Has Done," Armageddon soundtrack contribution "Wish I Were You," and more.

Track List:

Drive
Build a Fire
Losing Things
No One Gets What They Want
Only One
I'm Gonna Get There
Downtown Train
Ode to Billie Joe

No comments: