Followers

Monday, July 27, 2020

Out now: Neon Trees new album

Neon Trees' fourth studio album ‘I Can Feel You Forgetting Me’ is available now via Thrill Forever. The Utah band with over 750 million streams previously unveiled the alt radio hit ‘Used to Like,’ as well as new songs ‘New Best Friend’ and ‘Nights.’

“Writing this record was extremely cathartic,” shares Tyler Glenn, who penned much of the album over several years from a deep place of reflection.” I had ostensibly moved to LA to work on honing a body of work for this album, but also to get away from a relationship that was haunting me.”

Glenn spent much of that year alone, except for the album's collaborators. Listeners will hear how much of the lyrics were inspired by personal memories and feelings pulled from Glenn’s experience of being in a codependent relationship he needed resolve from.

“I feel like the record encapsulates that journey,” he says. “When I started writing I was still in that relationship, and about half way through writing, I had left it. I still feel haunted by it, and just like all codependency, it’s a journey to rid yourself completely of it.

“Ghosting culture is very much a modern part of how we interact as humans,” continues Glenn on some of the more nuanced issues the album explores. “I have this phone in my hand with 7 or 8 different ways to reach a person, and yet in as many seconds as it takes to block a person, or unfriend them, I can’t reach them anymore. I literally could feel him forgetting me.”

Glenn’s roaring and affirming vocals provide narration on a record that “sounds like one full night of reflection, alone at the bar, walking past the places you’d go with them, texting them when you shouldn’t, and ultimately embracing the idea that no one else can complete you.”

The album rounds out with linings of hope, encouraging that “you must find completeness and joy in yourself.”

“I Can Feel You Forgetting Me,” Glenn expresses as he tied up penning this album, “and maybe that’s the best thing to happen to me so far.”

About the band:

Neon Trees—Tyler Glenn [lead vocals, piano, keys], Chris Allen [lead guitar], Elaine Bradley [drums] and Branden Campbell [bass]—saw their career rise with 2010’s Habits. Lead single “Animal” scored a double platinum certification from the RIAA and took home “Top Alternative Song” at the Billboard Music Awards.

In 2012, Picture Show spawned the quadruple-platinum “Everybody Talks,” which went to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Two years later, Pop Psychology debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top Rock Albums Chart and #6 on the Top 200 in addition to producing the gold hit, “Sleeping With A Friend.”

After a successful 2015 headlining tour, Neon Trees took a break. As Chris, Branden, and Elaine took time out with their respective families, Tyler released a solo offering entitled “Excommunication” and made his Broadway debut in Kinky Boots during 2018.

No comments: