Followers

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In stores today: Paul Anka 'Duets'



Paul Anka's new album Duets arrives in stores today. 

The legendary pop music songwriter is best known for such 1950s and '60s hits as “Diana,” “You Are My Destiny,” “Lonely Boy,” “Put Your Head On My Shoulder” and “Puppy Love" (the latter written about the late Annette Funicello), not to mention “My Way” for Frank Sinatra and countless other standards.

Duets is primarily a smooth collection of adult contemporary, R&B and jazz-tinged tunes that go down real easy.

Three of them are new: a breezy "Pennies From Heaven" with Michael Bublé (you'd be hard-pressed to tell the younger and elder crooners apart), "I Really Miss You" with Leon Russell and the upbeat, percolating soul of "Find My Way Back To Your Heart" sung by Anka and Tita Hutchison. 

Others feature fresh vocals or instrumentation: "Walk A Fine Line" with George Benson & Michael McDonald, romantic ballad "Do I Love You (Yes, In Every Way)" with Dolly Parton, the spruced up demo version of "This is It" with Michael Jackson, "Think I'm In Love Again" with Gloria Estefan, "Crazy" with Willie Nelson, "Les Filles de Paris" (partially sung in French) with Chris Botti and a relaxed "My Way" with Frank Sinatra.

The remainder were first heard on Anka's 1998 release A Body Of Work: "You Are My Destiny" with Patti LaBelle, "It’s Hard To Say Goodbye" with Celine Dion, a slow jam take on "She’s A Lady" alongside Tom Jones and "Hold Me ‘Til the Morning Comes" with Chicago's Peter Cetera.

Also noteworthy is Anka's new autobiography "My Way" (St. Martin's Press), written with David Dalton, available now.  


Spring tour dates are TBA. 

paulanka.com

No comments: