Followers

Monday, July 22, 2024

British pop legend Alison Moyet to revisit '80s classics and more on October album 'Key'

Since I interviewed Alison for her last new studio album, I'm anxious to hear this one...

It’s been 40 years since Alison Moyet stepped out of Yazoo and fired up a solo career with her #1 debut album Alf and Top 10 hits "Love Resurrection" and "All Cried Out." Hee career highlights include two #1 UK albums, six Top 10 UK singles, two BRIT Awards and a GRAMMY® nomination.

Following her recent graduation from Brighton University in 2023 with a first-class degree in Fine Art Printmaking BA (Hons), Alison Moyet has combined both art and music here, creating the album art herself to celebrate her 40th year as a solo artist with the release of Key on October 4th - a collection of 16 reworked singles, fan favorites and deep cuts as well as two new songs.

She launched the album by sharing one of its brand new songs, "Such Small Ale" alongside the reworked classic Moyet single "All Cried Out" (Listen HERE).

Listen to both "Such Small Ale" and "All Cried Out" here: https://alisonmoyet.lnk.to/Sma

Alison says, “I wanted to take the opportunity to look at the trajectory of the past four decades and explore songs that, in their original form, were never fully realised or have had their relevance to me altered by time.”

This month, she unveiled the album’s third release, "So Am I." Listen HERE.

One of the lesser-discovered gems from Alison’s published works, "So Am I" features on her 1994 album Essex. It is counted amongst Moyet’s favorites.

"So Am I (Lyric Video)": https://youtu.be/6hG2_EutkDw?si=xaTsd7FZld25UY1Z

The songs on Key were all reimagined alongside her producer, arranger and musical director Sean McGhee. "Such Small Ale" was penned with McGhee and Suede guitarist Richard Oakes, the latter of whom performs on several tracks on the album.

Alison adds, “I hope this collection will be the key to those unopened doors. Let yourself in.”

Key is now available to pre-order here. A wide range of physical formats are available with exclusives for Amazon, HMV in the UK and select indie stories. The official store has bundles including marble color vinyl, CD and cassette - all bundles include a print signed by Alison.

She recently launched 40 Moyet Moments. A 40-part podcast series featuring Alison in conversation with her long-time digital manager, Steve Coats-Dennis discussing the key moments of Alison’s career. Listen HERE

Next year, the singer will embark upon her first full headline tour since 2017. UK, Ireland and European dates have been announced; US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand dates are to follow.

Moyet concludes, “Live work really matters to me. I can’t dial in a performance. I love the physical feeling that singing gives me. It’s totally primal and euphoric. On stage, I remember how to connect with myself.”

Track listing:

Where Hides Sleep
All Cried Out
Such Small Ale
All Signs of Life
Can’t Say It Like I Mean It
Fire
Filigree
The Impervious Me
More
Is This Love?
Tongue Tied
My Right Arm
So Am I
My Best Day
World Without End
This House
Love Resurrection
You Don’t Have To Go

No comments: