Followers

Monday, August 16, 2021

Wanda Jackson collaborates with Joan Jett, Elle King on new album

I was lucky enough to see Wanda perform live when I reviewed the Stagecoach Festival in Indio, Calif. Get the lowdown on her new project...

Rockabilly Hall of Famer Wanda Jackson has teamed with fellow Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Joan Jett and Kenny Laguna to conceptualize Encore, Jackson’s 32nd album. It arrives August 20 via Big Machine Records/Blackheart Records.

“Right around the time I retired from performing and what I thought was the end of my career, I found myself back to writing songs with some of the great writers in Nashville. The songs you hear are truly my life story. This is the first time I have ever inserted so much of my personal life into my music. You’ll get a picture of my early life and have a peak into the closeness that my late husband Wendell and I had in our life together. I’m happy to share this with all of you. Your constant love and support has seen me through the ups and downs of my 64-year career. I love you all,” said Jackson in a prepared statement.

Elle King and Angaleena Presley joined Jett on the album. 

“Real, authentic rock and roll is something you have to have inside. It can’t be taught, it can’t be faked. Wanda Jackson has it. Joan Jett has it. Encore has it. It is rare,” said Laguna.

Jackson, known for “Hot Dog! That Made Him Mad;” “Mean, Mean Man;” “Fujiyama Mama” and “Let’s Have A Party” wrote half of Encore’s songs, with writers including triple Grammy Awards winner Lori McKenna, ACM/CMA/Grammy nominees Will Hoge and Luke Laird, Presley, plus Bluegrass artist Sonia Leigh.

The first taste was a cover of Johnny Tillotson’s 1962 Rhythm & Blues hit “It Keeps Right On A Hurtin’,” one that was most notably re-recorded by Elvis Presley on his 1969 FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS.

Another new one fans can hear now is “Two Shots,” with Jett and King.

“One of the cutest songs I have ever recorded is this song from my forthcoming album,” expresses Wanda. “’Two Shots’ was written for me by my sweet friend Elle King. We met in Nashville for a video shoot and found out she was a real fan of mine. She’s such a live-wire and fun to be with. Working with her was so comfortable and easy. We were lucky enough that both Elle and Joan Jett wanted to sing on this one with me. Joan does a beautiful job on the harmony and her voice really brightens the song. I love ‘Two Shots’ and I think you will too.”

Listen/Stream “Two Shots (featuring Elle King and Joan Jett)”: https://WandaJackson.lnk.to/TwoShotsPR

Jett continues, “Two Shots is a very cleverly written song, written for Wanda by Elle King. It was great being in the studio with Elle and Wanda,” says Jett.

“This collaboration was a dream come true. Wanda Jackson and Joan Jett have been absolute heroes of mine. I feel so lucky to have been a part of this song and this record,” shares Elle, who also penned the song with David Ryan Harris.

Pre-order ENCORE: https://WandaJackson.lnk.to/EncorePR

TRACKLIST:

1. “Big Baby” | Christopher Casello, Robin Lynn Grant
2. “Two Shots (featuring Elle King and Joan Jett)” | David Ryan Harris, Tanner Elle Schneider
3. “You Drive Me Wild” | Joan Jett
4. “Good Girl Down (featuring Angaleena Presley and Candi Carpenter)” | Wanda Jackson, Vanessa Olivarez, Angaleena Presley, Jordan Breanne Simpson
5. “It Keeps Right On A Hurtin’” | Johnny Tillotson
6. “We Gotta Stop” | Wanda Jackson, Will Hoge, Vanessa Olivarez
7. “Treat Me Like A Lady (featuring Joan Jett)” | Wanda Jackson, Sonia Leigh, Vanessa Olivarez, Jordan Breanne Simpson
8. “That What Love Is (featuring Joan Jett)” | Wanda Jackson, Luke Laird, Lori McKenna, Jordan Breanne Simpson

No comments: