Followers

Friday, February 28, 2020

A bonus Q&A with DJ Richard Blade of SiriusXM's 1st Wave










I recently had a quick chat with veteran DJ Richard Blade, best known to Southern California alternative radio listeners for his longtime stint on KROQ/106.7 FM Los Angeles, about guesting on Berlin's latest album "Transcendance."

Below are a few excepts that didn't make into the main newspaper feature (see it elsewhere on this blog).

Q: What was your initial thought when Terri first asked you to contribute the voice of an infomercial huckster to the song “Show Me Tonight?
A: I was thrilled. I would do anything for Terri. We have a relationship that goes back to 1982 and she’s always been great.

Q: Did you come up with the spiel quickly?
A: Yeah, we did it in one take. They had the producers there running tape and I ran through it. Terri started laughing at the end and applauding. The guys said, ‘that’s it.’ I asked if they wanted any pickups or anything and they said, ‘no, that was great.’ I sat there another two hours hanging out with the guys. It was so much fun.

Q: Were you trying to channel some of those late night cable TV commercials from the ‘80s and ‘90s?
A: Absolutely. When it was back at 240p [video quality resolution], not 1080p. You’d put it on because there was nothing else on the television. And they would be going [in exaggerated voice], ‘If you call now, you will get this, but wait! There’s more!’ You see so much of it in this consumer society, it was very easy to pull out.

Q: Terri said you convinced her to put the remixed version of “Sex (I’m a)” on the album.
A: Absolutely. I’ve done so many gigs with Terri over the years. Particularly over the last 3-4 years, they’ve done incredible live versions of “Sex” and “Metro.” I said to Terri, over and over again, ‘I would love to play this on the radio. Get a version down.’ She said, ‘We’re thinking about it'...[They've revisited] a classic song without screwing it up. I’m sort of a music purist. I'm not someone who just plays a long version just for the sake of it. 

It has to be good...I think I finally I wore her down and she put it on. People love it [in concert].

Richard Blade's 1st Wave show airs weekdays on SiriusXM from 12-6 p.m., Saturdays at 11-5 p.m. and Sundays at 1-7 p.m. Pacific Time. He can also be heard daily from 12-1 p.m. Pacific Time doing the "Flashback Lunch" on JACK FM/93.1 Los Angeles. 

In 2017, Blade put out the excellent biography "World in My Eyes" and last November issued the historical adventure novel "SPQR." Both are currently available on Amazon.

No comments: