Followers

Thursday, March 12, 2009

American Idol 2009

Well, I started watching "Idol" again this week since they narrowed down the field to 13 (now 11). Some initial thoughts: Paula seems loopier than ever. I don't know how the contestants are supposed to learn anything from the judges' comments when they contradict each other.

Usually I agree with a lot of what Simon says, but not when he tells someone they shouldn't pick an obscure Michael Jackson song nobody knows. Then Randy and Paula say a couple of the hit MJ songs chosen are so ingrained in people's minds that they can't picture anyone else singing them. Talk about mixed signals!

And no, Randy, not all of us think of your sometimes employer (the wretched Mariah Carey) when we hear someone do "I'll Be There."

I was most impressed by: Adam Lambert, Scott McIntyre, Alexis Grace and Kris Allen. Danny Gokey, too - but when you get these devout Christians in the competition (like David Archuleta last season), they tend to leave out "objectionable" or sensual lyrics during the theme weeks and that bugs the heck out of me.

No comments: